Monday, September 28, 2015

Putting a Face to the Some of the Names of the Girls of Gugulethu

I have read about two-thirds of  The Born Frees Writing with the Girls of Guguletuh, a book that my friend Kimberly Burge wrote about a group of young women in South Africa who grew up in the post-apartheid South Africa, I have read about Annasuena, Gugu, Ntombi and the other young ladies, and now this video trailer puts faces to the names. This is a wonderful and uplifting book, but also a sober account of the challenges that each of the girls faced. There is also a lot of great historical context in the book. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the book, and I'm sure you would too. "Incredible and inspiring, this account belongs in every library and on every bookshelf.” Library Journal (starred review)  The book can be found in local independent book stores or ordered online via their Web sites. See Kimberly Burge's Web site for more information.

No comments: