Friday, April 11, 2014

Living Signs of Love

I receive daily e-mails from Gratefulness.org and from Sojourners (Verse and Voice) with spiritual and inspirational reflections. These reflections are usually quite different from each other. On rare occasions, the message is very similar, and this was the case this past Monday.  I share these reflections from Henri Nouwen and I. Carter Heyward.

Word for the Day
 Monday, Apr. 7
In a world so torn apart by rivalry, anger, and hatred, we have the privileged vocation to be living signs of a love that can bridge all divisions and heal all wounds.  -Henri Nouwen
 
Verse and Voice 4.7.14

verse of the day
This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father.   - John 15:12-15

voice of the day
"In the Spirit which draws us into honest engagement with one another, including those who may be very different from us in various ways, God calls us to wake up and learn how to love and respect one another, period." - I. Carter Heyward

prayer of the day
Lord God, King of the Universe, we lift up our hands to you and ask you to help us bear the burden of injustice. Grant us a discerning spirit to follow your path to justice. Equip us with your patience and your grace so that as we walk with those who suffer, we might strengthen and uphold one another. Amen. - From Common Prayer

No comments: